It's that time of year when weekday mornings go from slow, relaxing starts to hectic races to get to school on time. At Best Day Yet, we specialize in helping your family have mornings that are not only relaxing, but empowering for your family's entire day.
Here are our 5 tips to de-stressing your mornings before school:
1. Set a bedtime and stick to it. It might go without saying, but bedtimes really help. In our family the routine is snack, books, brush teeth, go to bed around 8. Our kids are allowed to read until 9 pm, but our youngest usually falls asleep before that.
2. Give your child at least an hour to wake up before loading them in the car. We need time to transition from sleep to wakefulness, and they do too. In our family, we need to head out the door by 7:30 am, so that means the kids need to wake up by 6:30 am.
3. Give amnesty the first week (or two). Behavior might not be the best the first week or two, especially if your little one is not a morning person. Give them (and yourself) a little grace if they cry or throw a fit about little things. A common trigger at our house is that the socks don't "feel right". Of course this happens right as we're about to head out the door. Deep breaths and compassion for all.
4. Try to spend a little quality time with each child. Even if it's a few minutes chatting just the two of you or having breakfast together. This together time and sense of connection helps and will help your child feel stronger as they start the day.
5. Listen to a podcast on the way to school. This can help ease morning anxiety and eliminate any in the car bickering. Best Day Yet makes episodes that are designed to center and empower children right before they head to school. Listen wherever you get your podcasts or on Apple Podcasts, subscribe and listen here.